What happens around the campfire doesn't always stay there. Whether as an interlude between locations or the impetus for the beginning of a new quest, strange happenings round the fire can add a lot of character to a quest. Below we offer you 20 options for lighting up the night:
- _Nemesis_ (#Nemesis) An archfoe of the adventurers summons an elemental of fire from their very own flame. It strikes with surprise.
- _Flight_ (#Flight) A cacophony of beasts and birds runs over the adventurers and through their camp, hasty to escape something calamitous.
- _Omens and Portents_ (#Omens) The lambent flames gutter without the presence of wind or rain. One of the adventurers experiences a premonition of the peril to come.
- _Moaning_ (#Moaning) Moaning begins to come from the darkness beyond the fire, then the sound of shuffling creatures. Zombies or some other undead stumble into the clearing. Have the adventurers been deliberately targeted? Did they make camp on an ancient burial ground? Do the undead wish to ask the living to complete some task they now cannot, and hence free them (and receive a reward).
- _Refugees_ (#Refugees) Refugees pensively approach and ask to share the warmth and light. From whence do they come and why?
- _Wolfpack_ (#Wolfpack) The light has drawn the attention of a starving wolfpack. Normally they'd not approach. What could compel them to risk harm for food? Something stranger is afoot...
- _Thieves?!_ A bumbling member of the gentry stumbles into the adventurers' clearing. Eyes going wide with terror, he takes you for bandits and flings many a precious item to the ground to placate and distract you before fleeing into the night. Do you take his items or chase him so as to avoid being wrongly accused? He is very fleet of foot.
- _Rescue_ (#Rescue) An arrow descends out of the darkness and strikes one of you very near a precious appendage. It appears there is a note attached requesting rescue from yonder high tower... > Struck adventurer takes 2 damage (player with the lowest roll is the victim).
- _Manbane_ (#Manbane) A diverse pack of beasts reveals themselves at the perimeter of camp. You'd not thought you strayed so close to the Dreadwood of Mabus Manbane, dark druid, but perhaps he's branching out...
- _Highwaymen_ (#Highway) It seems you've drawn of the attention of ne'er-do-wells. Are they good men fallen on desperate times or evil ones preying on the weak? Will you take the risk of finding out?
- _Illicit Wares_ (#Wares) A scruffy, bleary-eyed merchant enters the clearing. He seems to think you might be interested in his narcotic diversions.
- _Storm_ (#Storm) A fierce thunderstorm breaks upon the encampment. Avoiding lightning strikes and falling hail will be your first concerns, then there will be the chill--if you can't restart that fire.
- _The Law_ (#Law) The local constabulary loudly barges into camp, demanding the immediate surrender of "The Band of the Red Hand". They have the drop on you, with weapons already drawn in fists quaking from nervousness. Will you attack or cooperate with the clearly confused local authorities?
- _The Book_ (#Book) As payment for recent good deeds, an old crone gifted you a book she claimed had secrets to great power. You crack open the book. Will you read aloud the words, Klaatu barada nicto...?
- _Gypsies_ (#Gypsies) A caravan of gypsies approaches with the sounds of tinkling bells. Do you share the clearing? Will sneaky children's hands lighten you of Loot? Will you dance with dusky eyed beauties? Accept the invitation to have fortunes told? Vie with the men in a contest of knife-throwing?
- _Strange Lights_ (#Lights) Strange lights appear in the sky and approach. Moments later a shaft of light shines forth, lifting you toward the dim outlines of the dreadful craft...
- _Something in the Woods_ (#Squatch) A series of strange wood-knocks comes from the distance. A sound like a screaming baby makes the hair on your neck rise. You must investigate, but you may regret it.
- _Drug War_ (#Drugs) You didn't anticipate this campground would end up being contested by two gangs, or that you'd get caught in the middle.
- _Trespassing_ (#Trespass) Several pickups pull into the clearing, disgorging smug and malicious looking men. Several dogs growl from beneath their choke collars. Seems you've come to private property and have to party with the owners. They'll give you a headstart...
- _Lagoon_ (#Lagoon) You picked a nice spot near a lovely Lagoon. When some of you go swimming, a terrible surprise reveals itself.
Have an idea for the next Quest Crafter or feedback on how we can make it more useful to you? Email us at Authors@Fabricate.io or leave a comment below.