The Open Source Tabletop RPG
Expedition is the first open source tabletop RPG card game with a companion app.
Help show game companies the value of making open source tabletop RPG's (and make Expedition better!) by contributing.
Here's how to make your mark:
- Play Expedition! The best way to get a sense for what Expedition is and how you can improve it is to play. Get a copy on the Expedition Store or print and play. You can play Expedition 1 player (as a solo adventure), or with a group of up to 6 players. You'll also need to download the Expedition App on your phone, or open it in a web browser.
- The App - the companion app (app.expeditiongame.com), and the most visible part of Expedition. A great place to start if you enjoy working on mobile apps and user experience. It's coded as a mobile-friendly web app, that can then be exported as an Android + iOS app using Cordova.
- The Quest Creator - the quest creation tool (quests.expeditiongame.com). It's more complex than the app, but if you love interesting technical challenges, you'll love the Quest Creator. This is also the place to look if you want to see more interesting mechanics in Expedition quests. Did we mentioned we designed an entire coding language for writing quests? (Quest Design Language, or QDL)
- The Card Creator - for creating custom cards (betacards.expeditiongame.com). Of the three, we've had the least time to work on the Card Creator - so if you enjoy making a big difference, cleaning up and modernizing old code, this is the repo for you!
- Join the community. Watch and star the repositories you're interested in so that you don't miss out on the conversation.
- Pull the repo and get it running on your local machine. We've worked hard to make this as easy as possible - just follow the instructions in the README and you should be good. If you do run into any issues, drop a GitHub issue with as much detail as possible and we'll help you get it up and running.
- Check out the issues. Once you've picked the repo you'd like to work on, take a look through the existing issues (and feel free to drop issues with ideas and bugs of your own). We recommend starting with something small to get the hang of the code.
- Submit your first PR! Once you've solved your first issue, you can submit a Pull Request to add it to the master branch. Make sure to include tests and screenshots so that the people reviewing your code can better understand the changes you've made.
We look forward to collaborating with you on this fun RPG game! Please don't hesitate to email us at Contact@ExpeditionGame.com if you have any questions.