Expedition Writing Contests
Do you want to get your work in front of more people? Push yourself creatively and write on the bleeding edge of interactive storytelling? Earn money writing?
Then you've come to the right place!
Expedition is a lightweight roleplaying game that hosts monthly interactive writing contests. Every quest you publish earns you 1 loot point, which you can turn into cash or Expedition swag. On top of that, we have monthly writing challenges with even more rewards:
November / December Contest: $500 Prize!
November is traditionally National Novel Writing Month ("NaNoWriMo") - but instead of writing a novel, why not push yourself creatively and write an interactive story using the Expedition Quest Creator? This time around there are no theme constraints: write whatever story your heart desires, as long as you can fit it into the Expedition system.
To keep to the spirit of NaNoWriMo, qualifying quests must contain a minimum of 15,000 words. You cannot start writing your quest until November 1st (though you may work on an outline ahead of time), and your quests(s) must be published publicly by 11:59pm EST on December 31st.
Instead of publishing your quest as a single 3+ hour adventure, you may also choose to publish it as a multi-part quest series. If you publish in multiple parts, we encourage you to publish each part as soon as it's written so that you can get as much feedback as possible - just make sure that all of the parts are published before the deadline!
There are also several ways to earn bonus points on top of the normal rewards! All authors who publish at least the first chapter of their entry by November 30th at 11:59pm will receive a bonus loot point. Every 5,000 additional words over the minimum also earns you an extra point. And if you incorporate a winter or holiday theme into your entry, you'll earn yet another point!
This is our biggest contest to date, so if you have any questions, please email us at Authors@Fabricate.io!
At the end of November, the Expedition team will select 5 finalists. The winner will be selected by audience vote over a two week voting period. At the end, whichever quest has the most votes wins! If there is a tie, the prize will be split among the winners.
Upcoming Writing Contests
Don't miss out on the next contest announcement: Join the Expedition Quest Writers mailing list for writing inspiration and be the first to know about new contests!
Have a question about the contests? Hit "Contact Us" on the bottom right.
To be eligible for any Expedition contest:
- You must write and publish a quest using the Expedition Quest Creator in English before the contest deadline.
- Quest must be accurately tagged with age level. Quests may not contain deeply offensive material, such as scenes that glorify sexual violence.
- Quests cannot infringe on other's intellectual property. Sorry, no Harry Potter fan fiction!
- For prizes of $25 - $599: You must report your prize earnings on your local tax form as "other income" (such as a 1099 in the US). Entrants in all countries are eligible for prizes under $600!
- For prizes of $600 or more: Only those residing in or paying taxes in the United States are currently eligible. You must be age 18 or older by the end of the contest. If you win, we'll need a W-9 from you before we can issue payment.
Want to get a better idea of what a winning Expedition quest looks like? Here are some of our past writing contest winners that you can play through in the Expedition App (make sure to select the appropriate number of players for them to appear in search results):
- The Worldbreaker series (W.B. #1 - 2): 2-6 players
- The Landfaria Chronicles series (L.C. #1 - 5): 2-6 players
- Goin' on a Bear Hunt: 2-6 players
October 2017: Spooky Quest Challenge
To celebrate the quickly-approaching Halloween, we're giving out bonus rewards to anyone who writes spooky and horror-themed quests!
Every spooky / horror quest you publish earns you 2 Loot Points.
If you're looking for writing inspiration, quests earn 1 additional Loot Point for incorporating the theme "The Monster with the Face of Man": Sometimes the most monstrous evil hides behind the banality of the mundane.
And, if you're a first-time author, you'll earn an additional loot point!
To qualify, quests must be at least 1,000 words, published publicly before midnight EST on October 31st, and follow Expedition community and quality standards.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out the new Quest Crafter section of the Expedition website: https://expeditiongame.com/questcrafter