Several exciting updates this month!
- Unveiling the future of Expedition
- Announcing the award-winning new quests from Quest Quest 2
- How to win a copy of Expedition
- Improved combat rules
- New features and fixes for the app
The Future of Expedition
We've been listening to your favorite parts of Expedition and it keeps coming back to this: a game that's endlessly replayable, with new and interesting content every time you play. And we agree!
Which is why, starting today, our official vision for Expedition is to create the world's best library of quests and adventures. With new quests every week and a large collection of high-quality adventures, there'll always be something new to play!
Over the next few months, we'll be working hard to make this vision a reality for you:
- Each week, we're giving away a free copy of Expedition to the best new quest written in the Quest Creator (see below for more details).
- Upcoming features like family-friendly quests, ratings and reviews will make it easier for you to discover and enjoy the best quests.
- You'll be able to pay what you want - and only what you want - for quests. For people who want to play great quests, this gives you the chance to support creators on your own terms. For quest writers, this gives you the financial support to build amazing quests. All while keeping Expedition ad-free and open source.
New Quests & Winners
For the past two months, amazing community members like yourself have been hard at work crafting adventures that are now available for your enjoyment.
First of all, thank you to everyone who participated in Quest Quest 2! If we had enough battleaxes, we'd ship one to every single one of you. But, alas, battleaxes are in short supply these days and we could only pick three winners.
As a reminder, the categories:
- Adventurer vs Adventurer - Two teams fighting each other? An evil mastermind? Secret identities and a hidden traitor? You decide!
- Most Dynamic Quest - The quest that responds the most to user input with branching and dynamic choices with real consequences.
- Crowd Favorite - The quest that receives the highest ratings from users.
And, without further ado, the winners:
- Adventurer vs Adventurer: Unlife of the Party by Daniel Riddle. An enchanting party whose twists and turns are best discovered with 3-5 friends!
- Most Dynamic Quest: Legend of the Mystics by Cory Smith. All we can say is... wow. Cory singlehandedly developed several really cool mechanics, including his own shopping and inventory system!
- Crowd Favorite: (L.C. #2) The Tournament by JanoNath. The second in the Landfaria Chronicles series, you'll participate in the big annual tournament....and perhaps uncover some dark secrets.
- Honorable Mention: Stormin' the Castle by Greg Miller. We're out of battle axes, but we'd be remiss to not applaud Greg's veritably verbose vocabulary and Monty Python-worthy jokes.
Congratulations, winners! We'll be in touch shortly to sort out prizes.
Win a copy of Expedition
Enjoyed writing for Quest Quest 2? Inspired to try your hand at telling a story? Now's the perfect time. For the next several months we aren't having just one contest... we're having a contest every week! Each week, the best new quest will win a free copy of Expedition!
The clock starts this Sunday at midnight! Don't wait, get started writing your first quest today at Quests.ExpeditionGame.com. If you have any questions or run into any issues, you can email Todd directly at Todd@Fabricate.io.
(Note that you don't have to write the quest in less than a week - your quest will just be judged the week it's published. "Best" will be judged by a combination of Scott and I, and user reviews. Ties will be broken by playtesters. Each user may submit up to one quest per week, and may win multiple weeks.)
Ever feel like you're playing the same ability or two over and over, especially at the start of a quest? Thanks to continued feedback from the community, we've made a refinement that helps prevent this. Now:
- When you play an ability, discard it.
- Each round, re-shuffle all abilities except those discarded.
- Once you have less than three abilities in your draw pile, shuffle in your discard pile.
We've also updated the combat rules in the app to reflect this improvement.
New App Features
Since last month, we've rolled out several improvements to your Expedition experience:
- Added new featured quest: Dungeon Crawl
- Added the ability to rate, review and report quests
- Optimized the web app to load 50% faster
- Built several new tools for quest creators, such as the ability to selectively award loot and abilities after combat (for example, so that you don't draw more loot right before the end of a quest)
- Fixed a bug where left / right arrows were too small, making them hard to tap on mobile devices.
- Improved the UI for large devices and tablets.
Thank you again for your support! As the first open source cards + app tabletop game, all of these improvements are driven by the community: app bug reports and feature requests on GitHub, quests written in the Quest Creator, discussions held in the Subreddit.
As a reminder, if you enjoy Expedition, please consider rating it on Amazon and BoardGameGeek to help increase its visibility and grow the community!
Here's to a future full of adventure,
Todd & Scott