Fall is here and Halloween approaches! For the next month we'll try and help with your Halloween themed quests.
Making enemies interesting can be difficult. It can also be extremely rewarding to watch your players develop relationships, attitudes, or dislikes toward non-player characters. Something as simple as a Title hints at a story within a story, using the players' imaginations to do your work for you.
How did "Ancalagon, Enthraller of the Undead" come by his power, minions, or station?
Many authors make use of alliteration or titles to "put flesh" on the bones of their protagonists and antagonists. George R.R. Martin has famously done this in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series (Game of Thrones). The videogame "Shadow of Mordor" managed to take a rather traditionally boring set of enemies (orcs) and "made it personal" and constantly fresh by refusing to let them remain generic. Many players found that an orc, by any other name (or rather when given a personal name) is in fact no longer just an orc.
Below are 20 titles to personalize your Undead villains/Encounter cards, each providing a slight modification to spice up combat with existing cards. After you've given your fearsome fiend a first name (for example, "Ancalagon"), add the title and its modification.
- ...the Corrupter (Killed Adventurers rise as Zombies).
- ...the Rotting (This foe takes 1 extra damage from Melee abilities).
- ...Zombie Lord (Zombies regain one extra hp when they surge).
- ...Vampire Lord (Vampires deal and regain 1 extra hp on surge).
- ...Lich Lord (Encounter card plays a Magic Ability at start of Combat).
- ...Enthraller of Undead (Increase Tier Value by 2).
- …the Magus (Take -1 damage from Magic Abilities).
- …the Necromancer (Play the Soulfire Magic Ability on Surge).
- …Bloodtaker (Heals 1 damage every round enemies deal damage).
- ...Gravemaster (Add an extra Tier 1 Undead Encounter card).
- ...Soul Shackler (-1 to all Adventurer rolls).
- …the Fetid (-1 to all non-Ranged Adventurer rolls).
- …the Shambler (Surges one round later than normal).
- …the Clutching Death (Melee Ability misses result in 1 damage).
- ...Deathblade (Play the "Whirlwind" Melee Ability at start of combat).
- …Eater of the Dead (Whenever an Undead dies, this foe recovers 1 hp).
- ...Barrow Lurker (Takes -1 to damage while in catacombs or crypts).
- …the Husk (Has 2 fewer starting hp).
- …Corpse Tearer (Encounter card plays a Melee Ability at the start of Combat).
- …of Dead Eyes (Ranged Abilities deal +1 damage to this foe).
Have an idea for the next Quest Crafter, or feedback on how we can make these more useful? Email us at Authors@Fabricate.io