Fall is here and Halloween approaches! For the next month we'll try and help with your Halloween themed quests.
Making enemies interesting can be difficult. It can also be extremely rewarding to watch your players develop relationships, attitudes, or dislikes toward non-player characters. Something as simple as a Title hints at a story within a story, using the players' imaginations to do your work for you.
How did "Ancalagon, Enthraller of the Undead" come by his power, minions, or station?
Many authors make use of alliteration or titles to "put flesh" on the bones of their protagonists and antagonists. George R.R. Martin has famously done this in the "Song of Ice and Fire" series (Game of Thrones). The videogame "Shadow of Mordor" managed to take a rather traditionally boring set of enemies (orcs) and "made it personal" and constantly fresh by refusing to let them remain generic. Many players found that an orc, by any other name (or rather when given a personal name) is in fact no longer just an orc.
Below are 20 titles to personalize your Undead villains/Encounter cards, each providing a slight modification to spice up combat with existing cards. After you've given your fearsome fiend a first name (for example, "Ancalagon"), add the title and its modification.
- _The Corrupter_ > Killed adventurers rise as Zombies.
- _The Rotting_ > This foe takes 1 extra damage from Melee abilities.
- _Zombie Lord_ > Zombies deal one hp of damage to one adventurer when they surge.
- _Vampire Lord_ > Vampires deal and regain 1 extra hp on surge.
- _Lich Lord_ > Encounter enemy plays a :magic: Ability at start of Combat.
- _Enthraller of Undead_ > Increase Tier Value by 2.
- _The Magus_ > Takes -1 damage from :magic: Abilities.
- _The Necromancer_ > Play the Soulfire :Magic: Ability on Surge.
- _Bloodtaker_ > Heals 1 damage every round enemies deal damage.
- _Gravemaster_ > Add an extra Tier 1 Undead Encounter card and update the Tier sum.
- _Soul Shackler_ > -1 to all Adventurer rolls.
- _The Fetid_ > -1 to all non-:ranged: Adventurer rolls.
- _The Shambler_ > Surges one round later than normal.
- _The Clutching Death_ > :melee: Ability misses result in 1 damage.
- _Deathblade_ > Play the "Whirlwind" :melee: Ability at start of combat.
- _Eater of the Dead_ > Whenever an :undead: dies, this foe recovers 1 hp.
- _Barrow Lurker_ > Takes -1 to damage while in catacombs or crypts.
- _The Husk_ > Has 2 fewer starting hp.
- _Corpse Tearer_ > Encounter card plays a :melee: Ability at the start of combat.
- _Of Dead Eyes_ > :ranged: abilities deal +1 damage to this foe.
Have an idea for the next Quest Crafter, or feedback on how we can make these more useful? Email us at Authors@Fabricate.io